Thread: Need advice for new forum member

Super Noob

Need advice for new forum member

I am 58 years old, from Illinois and due to drug testing by my company I have not smoked for close to 30 years. I recently retired and while visiting my son in Fort Worth,TX I had a grand mal seizure. They had lost me twice and put me into an induced coma for 3 days with several meds. After they brought me out of it I was told I had a Meningioma brain tumor a little larger than a lemon. I was lucky because the surgery went well and the biopsy was taken and the pathology report showed it was benign. They put me on anti-seizure and said I should stay on this for 3 months before starting to get weaned off of it. The anti-seizure medicene is terrible because my hands shake and makes me feel terrible but I don't want to switch because I am needed to drive a family member to the cancer center every day.

Two weeks ago my Governor in IL sign a bill to add people with seizures to be added to the medical marijuana bill. I should be able to find a neurologist (when I get back) to get a prescription. This may help when getting of the Dilantin and hopefully keeping me seizure free for the rest of my life.

Can anyone give me their recommendation as to what I should do and what type of medication (marijuana) I should take to alleviate the problems I will endure when coming of this drug? I think I will enjoy getting back into being high again and hope to kill two birds with one stone!
    Last edited by 12golf; 08-10-2014 at 12:27 AM.

seizures and cannabis

Hi there. While I use use cannabis for pain and not seizures, I've learned a bit from researching my own conditions. Generally speaking, high cbd strains are considered best for seizure disorders (Charlotte's Web is a strain developed specifically for a seizure disorder, named after Charlotte Fiji, a patient with Dravet's syndrome, which causes hundreds of seizures per week). Online sites like this one can help you find high cbd strains (I seem to see more CBD in the indicas than in the sativas), and you should at least try the CBD oil drops (a few drops under the tongue). That said, depending on your other medical issues, I've found that though CBD works well for some of my pain, I need the CBD and THC to cover all the pain issues, so a good hybrid that has both features may be your best option as well. I'd try getting in touch with other patients with seizure disorders and ask what works for them. Here's a link to a site with more information:
    http://medicalmarijuana.com/experts/...e.cfm?artID=75.
    You can also read some good studies at "Google Scholar" under the keywords "cannabis treatment for seizure disorders"
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanapucanna View Post
    Hi there. While I use use cannabis for pain and not seizures, I've learned a bit from researching my own conditions. Generally speaking, high cbd strains are considered best for seizure disorders (Charlotte's Web is a strain developed specifically for a seizure disorder, named after Charlotte Fiji, a patient with Dravet's syndrome, which causes hundreds of seizures per week). Online sites like this one can help you find high cbd strains (I seem to see more CBD in the indicas than in the sativas), and you should at least try the CBD oil drops (a few drops under the tongue). That said, depending on your other medical issues, I've found that though CBD works well for some of my pain, I need the CBD and THC to cover all the pain issues, so a good hybrid that has both features may be your best option as well. I'd try getting in touch with other patients with seizure disorders and ask what works for them. Here's a link to a site with more information:
    http://medicalmarijuana.com/experts/...e.cfm?artID=75.
    You can also read some good studies at "Google Scholar" under the keywords "cannabis treatment for seizure disorders"
    Good luck!
    Just wanted to back up what Hanapucanna is saying. My stepdad suffers from seizures and was prescribed Charlotte's Web.