Thread: DIY Tootsie rolls

DIY Tootsie rolls

First, for all those annoying abercrombie spam ads A&F.jpg

Our laugh of the day.

Second, who doesn't love tootsie rolls? toots.jpg

I've got ingredients coming to make some tasty tootsie rolls and plan to add a bunch of hash oil and kief and was debating a few ways to go about things. I'm thinking a coconut oil for the oil base instead of butter like you see in some of the recipes. I plan to make a couple virgin batches before decarbing things and adding them in. If all goes well, I shall post pictures and instructions. The idea is to have something come out a little like cheeba chews but sort of an in-between dose. The regular ones seem to run around 76mg I think? With the Deca Dose a firm 175mg. My problem being the Deca dose is hard to split. I tried and wound up with one half knocking me on my ass while the second was nothing. So, I thought I can do this on my own with a few grams of nice kief and hash oil that contains about 700mg per gram. The recipe yield I'll try for starts is going to make approximately 15 or so candies I think. The end goal is something hopefully blended well that each piece ends up approximately 85-90mg. Potent enough to couchlock someone with a low tolerance. Just enough to stone someone with a high tolerance but not knock you totally out. The ingredient list so far looks kind of like this:

Powdered sugar, baking cocoa, vanilla extract, corn syrup, coconut oil, hash oil, kief, instant dry milk, pinch of salt. I'm going to try those things first and see how it comes out texture/taste, etc and adjust accordingly. The goal is also an almost no cook recipe. The only cooking is to decarb the kief which I may or may not do in the coconut oil, I've been looking over various methods and haven't decided the route to take here yet. An even layer in a pyrex for 20 mins at about 250 seems to be the consensus so far. Figured I'd post this and see if any input comes about ideas, suggestions, etc. I'm a total noob and it'll be my first shot at edibles since making bunk ass weed brownies 25 years ago in high school.

Hope everyone has a fab day and thanks for taking time to read.
    Last edited by nataliebarney; 08-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Nice

Keep us posted! I'm interested to see how it comes out, I might try it. I have not tried any cooking, (I'm more of a lab guy) but there are times where a candy treat would come in real handy when smoking is not an option. When I see mg's of this and that, you know, the kind of OCD care I use myself, my interest is peaked.

Test virgin batch complete

0822130308.jpg

0822130308a.jpg

0822130310.jpg

Trying to show a few pictures of the end virgin batch. Going for the real one later which may take a little longer to make and do up pictures, so wanted to make sure that works on these posts. Good as regular candy too! lol

Well, that was the easiest damn candy I ever made! It takes like ten minutes to measure, toss it all together in a sack and mix it. It was more fudge like than tootsie roll. Softer and a bit more oily than I would like, so I need to tweak the measurements a bit before doing the active batch. That is probably because I used less powdered sugar than the recipe said. I tasted the dry mix and thought it a bit sweet & tweaked the cocoa/sugar ratio. I refuse to compromise and add corn starch. Worst case? They are simply oily in the wax paper wrappers no different than cheeba chews are. I decided to start with about 4 grams of kief in the one tablespoon of coconut oil the recipe calls for. I plan to decarb the kief in dry heat oven for about 30 mins at around 230-240 (I figure as long as I'm between 220-250 here I really will be ok) Then heating the oil and dissolving the kief until it is completely melted in. Might be a little tricky to do with such a small amount of oil, so we will see how that works out. I may have to use a bit more, then allow to cool so it'll be easy to handle with the other ingredients which I mixed inside a bag. Oh much easier! No sticky mess to clean and it keeps all the oils and goodies trapped inside there instead of inside your bowl for mixing. When I make the real batch, I will take pictures and hope to make it step by step in case you do want to try these. I don't care a great deal for edibles but having one or two potent ones for body pain when you're in public and can't medicate is nice. I also think for the amount of kief I'm using in this recipe 8 - 10 edibles may be all I'll end up with since I'd like to make them decently potent. .4 gram of kief each treat oughta do the trick if my research to this point is right. I'll probably make these the next day or so and hope to have results posted by the weekend.

Peace & happy healing!
    Last edited by nataliebarney; 08-22-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: added a few pictures of test batch

Sweet. Sounds awesome, directions even an old guy can follow. I'll be waitin on them pictures.

Kief coconut oil tootsie rolls - aka Experiment # 1 with edibles

Ok gentle readers, Homemade kief coconut oil tootsie roll (like) treats. These suckers are very oily at room temp and way softer than a tootsie roll. I have yet to test them tomorrow for shelf stability but think fridge for now. I've NEVER made edibles nor a post like this, so hopefully I won't screw the pooch too badly. I also took one of these bad boys and am a little high, so damn it! Edna. They work!

Gather up your ingredients. This is the recipe I found online, but you can find your own if anything in this list doesn't float your boat. They'll argue over dry milk powder and instant milk but mine said instant dry milk. I guess I have the right one since it turned out ok? You can also add soy lecithin I just couldn't locate any for this recipe. Get creative! Have fun with it.

2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup dry milk powder
    1/2 cup white corn syrup

Now. That? Makes a TON of candy. So I halved the ingredients and even went a little less on my powdered sugar amount. I would advise you go half too and see how your virgin batch goes and if you wish to proceed with 4-5 good grams of kief. I honestly think next time I may just leave the kief in the coconut oil and a tincture bottle. Enjoy the candy later.

Here's the stuff I used

0822131137a.jpg

After I measured half of each of the above ingredients, I put the dry ingredients in a ziploc bag. You can mix this with your hand or close the bag and shake, just want things mixed as much as possible.

I decarboxylated the kief, covered for 20 min cycle at 225, plus cooldown - scent was noticeable but only close up, which was good. Too much scent means too many terpenes and goodies burning off. I heated the coconut oil and mixed in the 4 grams of kief I used. 2 grams of GDP and 2 grams Sour Diesel for a nice hybrid effect. I simply mixed until everything had dissolved. I've read allllll kinds of stuff decarb, don't decarb, oh do it at this time, this time, yada yada. I finally gave up and decided I may just have to trial and error on my own. And this is simply experiment #1

0822131137.jpg

Heated oil mixed until kief was totally dissolved

0822131139.jpg

In a small measuring cup, I mixed the syrup and vanilla then added these wet ingredients, including the kief oil to my dry mix and began squeezing and kneading things inside the bag. Glad I thought to do this inside a bag.

0822131144.jpg

The oil gets all over, so it would have made me cry to do this by hand and waste everything. Once it is incorporated to doughlike consistency, I would recommend sticking it in the fridge for 20-30 mins to let the oil harden before working it again into your shapes and weighing it on a small scale. I used wax paper to keep mine from getting oily or sticky from the candy.

Wrap your pieces which you can weigh to make more exact. I'm going for roughly 10gram squares for mine later and am not sure how many pieces it just made. I'm thinking one piece is pretty mellow (so far) And naturally I'll experiment with hotter temps and longer times next batch to note differences. I may also get nit picky and weigh the dry goods and do it all by grams to make everything as anal retentively OCD as I possibly can. Because why? Because I love to have it be right I guess and am driven to ensure I entertain as well as throw out something that maybe can be useful to someone. Hopefully I've managed at least that. Thanks for the time reading! Hope you enjoy the treats. Should I perfect the recipe I'll repost it accordingly. Happy healings!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nataliebarney; 08-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.

End product

0822131411.jpg

So...after nabbing two pieces for now, I have 8 big 13+ gram hunks of delicious kief candy. It's smoothed out now after having sat in the fridge. I'm keeping mine there. I just don't want it to get oily and me have to lick the wrapper having it at room temp. Coconut oil melts around 76 degrees, so...that is why that happens. However. It tastes really freakin' good and I am getting a rather nice buzz from it. Could be stronger but I didn't want to sleep like the cheeba made me do. I suck at knowing precise amounts since I decided to go kief instead of hash oil melted in like I'd intended - but this is approx. .4g per piece at 10 pieces. The taste is really nice. You know its a medible, but it's not overly weedy. No grit at all from that thanks to dissolving it. I'm logging off to enjoy the fact I didn't need a vicodin for my back today! WOooot! Happy healing, peace and have a great weekend!
    Last edited by nataliebarney; 08-22-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Any new recipes Natalie? These look amazing.
    "What do you think, I just slapped a clown suit on some wine-o?"

Looks yummy! I better try it out!

thanks for everything...
    == Solitaire ==