Pot initiatives: Predicting the next 15 states to legalize marijuana
A record high 64% of Americans support legalizing marijuana for recreational use, according to a 2017 Gallup Poll. Support for legalization is rooted in changing perceptions of the drug’s potential harm, as well as the prospect of hundreds of millions of dollars in marijuana sales and excise tax revenue for state governments.
The growing acceptance of marijuana among Americans has also been reflected in the ballot box. Currently, eight states and Washington, D.C., have legalized recreational marijuana. The eight states are Alaska, California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
Pro-pot initiatives passed in eight of the nine states in which they made it to the ballot in November 2016. Voters in Arkansas, Florida, Montana and North Dakota approved or expanded medical marijuana laws in their states. In Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada and California, voters approved recreational pot. Only Arizona’s push for full legalization failed.
- 426,740 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 372,202 Views Category: Culture
- 285,017 Views Category: Medical Marijuana
- 273,895 Views Category: Fun
- 197,334 Views Category: Odd
- 155,708 Views Category: Fun
- 149,655 Views Category: Videos
- 148,839 Views Category: Nugs
- 148,475 Views Category: News
- 147,327 Views Category: Nugs